Nowadays Molen De Adriaan is open for guests. Come and visit!


On April 23, 2002, 70 years after the fire, the (new) Adriaan was opened.



On April 21, 1999 the first stone was laid.


  • The restoration department of the Bureau of Architecture, Monuments and Archaeology carries out the reconstruction of the mill.
  • The stone foundation is built as a work experience project by the Foundation for Youth Kennemerland.
  • The mill itself was built by business firm C. Poland in Oterleek.


In 1963, the city of Haarlem takes over possession of the land on which the mill stood and also makes an obligation to reinstate the mill.That promise falls (later years) into oblivion.Then in 1991, the “Stichting Molen De Adriaan” is founded to rebuild the mill. In 1996, the president of the Stichting discovers the passage about the rebuilding duty in ancient records.

The city provides, under pressure from various organizations, one million guilders for the rebuild of De Adriaan. The total cost are 2.5 million guilders. With support from The European Union and various subsidies the implementation of the plans for rebuilding get a lot closer. Businesses, sponsors and residents of Haarlem provide approximately NLG 900 000, – for the rebuild.


The Rebuild

The population of Haarlem wants De Adriaan back; the last city mill of Haarlem deserves its own spot on the river Spaarne. Because of the Great Depression and the Second World War the politicians make different choices.

“De vereniging Haerlem” and the “Association of the Dutch Windmill” continues to promote rebuilding the mill. In 1953, they hope to rebuild the mill with the idea to bring a café in the base. That initiative failed.


molen-de-adriaan-1932On April 23, 1932 De Adriaan catches fire. Thousands of Haarlemmers watch helplessly as it goes up in flames.

The extinguishing lasts for days.


molen-de-adriaan-1901In 1925 the Association “De Hollandsche Molen” bought De Adriaan.

Grinding flour continues until the mill is severely damaged in 1930 by a storm.


In 1802 De Adriaan is sold to a tobacco merchant, who grinds tobacco rolls up to snuff who until 1865. Again the mill changes from owner and function. It is transformed into a wind and steam mill. From that time corn is ground in the mill.