In 1778 the Amsterdam businessman Adriaan de Boois bought an old defense tower. He received permission from the city of Haarlem to build a windmill. Adriaan built his windmill on top of the old Goê Vrouw tower. As a result, the mill blades rise high above the Spaarne and catch every breeze possible.
On 19 May 1779 the Adriaan smock mill is put into use. For years Adriaan de Boois ground tuff, a sort of volcanic stone, into trass. Trass is a special additive added to mortar to make walls waterproof.